Gunn Peak Question

Schmitz

139519.JPG

I've climbed gunn once not reaching the summit. on the asent I made it to the cliffs, skirted the cliffs then took the deep rock gully that starts at the bottom left of the photo. this gully gets very steep at times and may be more lenghthy than the alternate route in mind: bypassing the gully skirting further to the right of the picture then climbing up in the tamer sloples. this routle looks doable but there seem to be some cliffs in the way.

which rout have you taken?

which is the better route?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

climbed it two years ago. as tramp said, follow the track up as best you can--i don't recall any continuous gully travel. pretty sure our route crested the ridge (and dropped into the basin) to the right of the rock dome in the far right of your pic.

pretty place up there. there's a satellite peak further right of your pic that's a quick scramble, and holds some aircraft wreckage.

thanks for that info., have wondered re: history.

separately, having another look at that picture, I'm not convinced my previous statements are accurate. another dome in the immediate foreground of Gunn might be the one I'm thinking of. if I recall correctly, we followed Beckey's manual and it seemed about right. a v. fun day. thumbs_up.gif