[TR] Cannon Mountain- Northwest Route 5/30/2005

summitseeker

Climb: Cannon Mountain-Northwest Route

Date of Climb: 5/30/2005

Trip Report:

Brian and I climbed Cannon Mountain on Monday. Cannon is one of the 100 highest peaks in the state (#37), covered in our guidebook Summit Routes: Washington's 100 Highest Peaks.

My trip report is here.

(Please don't repost this report... I spent a lot of time writing it)

If you would like more information on the guide, go to SummitRoutes.com.

--Scott

Gear Notes:

Ice axe, crampons, helmet, trekking poles.

Approach Notes:

Abandoned road from Stuart Lake TH.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FYI: In your TR you mention dubbing point 6475 as the "rabbit ears." Accross the valley on the south side of Icicle Ridge there is a rock formation climbers already refer to as the Rabbit Ears. This is easily visible from the group camping area of Bridge Ck Campground. Above the Rabbit Ears is the sinister orangish rock of the Cobra. Not trying to be pickey...

Good job on a sweet hike...the view of Stuart 'n friends from there is Impressive.

FYI: In your TR you mention dubbing point 6475 as the "rabbit ears." Accross the valley on the south side of Icicle Ridge there is a rock formation climbers already refer to as the Rabbit Ears. This is easily visible from the group camping area of Bridge Ck Campground. Above the Rabbit Ears is the sinister orangish rock of the Cobra. Not trying to be pickey...

Guess I should have been more clear here. Not suggesting it be named that or any such thing. ooo.gif Just what we referred to it as as we were climbing. From the top of it, there is a great view up and down the valley.

Is there much snow left around there? Or just in the couloirs?

The snow line was at about 6,100 feet as we made our way up to the ridge, and it is pretty soft and nasty in the woods. There was snow along the north ridge, with some punching through. The east side of the ridge, descending southwesterly to Coney Lake, is snow free, which makes for an easy descent. There is snow from the lake on up to the summit. Reasonably consolidated rounding the lake, but enough hidden rocks to make for a bit of a mine field.

--Scott