constance 5/5 and 5/11 [2005]

did a solo trip up s. chute/terrible traverse on 5/5. snow covered ledges past the chutes notch were like one really long really terrible traverse. 4.5 hrs up from lake...

went up a week later 5/11 with my girlfriend and climbed the n. chute/finger traverse. n. chute full of snow the whole way up to the ridge, also a few snow covered ledges to negotiate before the finger traverse. 7.5 hrs up from lake...

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very cool.

When I went to solo up there, I brought pickets and a rope for self-belay on steep traverses just in case, not having seen the Terrible Traverse before, but remembering a fatality there back in the 90's. I ended up backing off due to dense fog, not far past the chute notch. I realize that there is a big range of comfort levels regarding steep snow, but what's your opinion re: need for pro?

Edited by Norman_Clyde

unfortunately i captured all of my images mentally so i can't easily share them with you.

as for protecting the terrible traverse, i didn't when i was by myself because the snow felt solid enough (and i didn't have any). would have been reassuring though, especially since i was breaking trail. the following week with my girlfriend i put in a couple pickets on our descent but the snow was so soft that it required burying them very deep...

in solid snow, with firm ice axe plants and a good track established, i personally would feel okay without a rope.

• 4 weeks later...