Seeking Digicam advice

ChrisT

ok so we want one that also takes stills, is very compact, digital video of course and under $500. I'm close to getting the Canon ZR-85 but reviews tell me the video is poor and there's no external mic port. Anyone have any thoughts on this subject? (It's for my son going to Japan this summer)

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone have any thoughts on this subject? (It's for my son going to Japan this summer)

Depending on how much you trust him with $, why not give him a few specs and have him pick one up in Tokyo? More choices there than anywhere else on earth!

We also almost bought the Canon, but the thought of buying a video camera that didn't shoot good video did sit well. It sounds so good. The features are great and the price is right, but if the quality is poor there not much reason to buy it in my opinion. We ended up with a Sony. The model has been discontinued, but it is comparable to the DCR-H32. We like it.

Buying it in Japan could save some money, but unless your son speaks Japanese it might not be as easy or as cheap as buying it online.

While I can't offer any opinion on the Canon, I CAN tell you I've never been unhappy with any of the Sony products I've bought. I've got both a digital still and a 8mm (Digital8) video camera from Sony, and will buy Sony again without hesitation. My only complaint are their manuals - you'd think with all their $$ they could hire just one native English speaker to proof read the English part, wouldn't you? Nothing like trying to figure out new electronics through broken Japenglish.

I wouldn't worry about lack of an external mic port, if it's just for vacation stuff. Even though the Sony I have has one, I've never had a reason to use it in the 4+ years I've had it.

-kurt