Conditions on Coleman Headwall (Mt Baker)

mjhclimbs

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/threadz/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB2&Number=443883

Our TR is about a month and a half old, but may give you some insight. When we were there, the route, and the approach were easily manageable; the slots were just starting to show themselves, but either easily walked across, or avoided. With the freezing level being consistently below the typically broken up/tricky approach to the base of the Headwall, and the precipitation that the area has received since we've been there, I can only imagine that the snowbridges are in even better shape. I'd also imagine that the route is a pretty moderate snow climb right now, with steep areas; except for the icefall area that we climbed through, we saw very little blue ice, and only swung our tools over our heads in a couple of areas.

I'd heard that, in the recent past, the road was closed to wheeled vehicles a couple of miles from the Heliotrope Ridge TH, but that should be open, and melting out soon, if it hasn't already.

Sorry if this isn't the most recent information, but no one else has piped up, and thought I might try to help. Have fun up there, and post a TR when you get back.