Alaska - yes, any of it

Suz

So I just realized I have a ticket voucher for Alaska Air that will expire June 30, so I need to go somewhere interesting. And cheap!! (Read: No chartered planes)

Anybody interested in heading somewhere like Barrow or Prudhoe Bay and wandering around some tundra for 5 days? Or flying into Wrangell, Glacier Bay, Kotzebue, or anywhere else that seems interesting and just checking things out for up to a week in June?

I know, really random, but let me know if you have (or know anybody who has) too much time and adventure on their hands. Or if you have any great suggestions... Check out alaskaair.com to see where they fly.

suzrow99 at yahoo dot com

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you cant find anyone to go with you should think about going to Dutch Harbor. The surrounding area is abosolutly amazing, and can be trecked around on your own. It is a really great place if you can get past the fishing port and what can often be really fucking bad weather.

Sounds like an intriguing possibility. Have you been there / are there any transportation options like hitching? Bad weather meaning in the port, or in general on the island? What kind of terrain - any good-sized forests to hide from the wind in? Trekking meaning backpacking? Grizzlies? Thanks for any info!...

To answer some of your questions...

Yes I have been there, and it is a great place. It reminded me very much of northern scotland. Very windblown almost tundra like. No trees to speak of, and I dont believe there are any bear since this is a very isolated island I dont think they ever made it there. The chain of islands is a volcanic chain, and the island (unalaska island) which is where Dutch Harbor is is just a huge volcano. Picture a small Hawaii, but cold windy and no fat clueless tourists in flipflops. Hitching should not be a problem for you since you can walk through town in about 15 mins. YOu do need to get a permit from the native corporation to hike I belive. There are lots of abandoned military installations all over the island. Note that this place was the other area of us soil that was attacked by the Japaneese in WWII. And the sunk a huge ship in the harbor just like pearl harbor, but it was kept secret so as not to scare the US population. Either way it is a very cool place that no one other than fishermen seem to care about. I recomend it.

Darn - looks like Alaska flies through another airline for Dutch Harbor, so no go. Sounds interesting though, thanks very much for the info, and perhaps I'll get there one of these days...

Anybody know of interesting things to do in Barrow, AK, in June? With a free ticket, you might as well go somewhere you never would otherwise!