[TR] Mt Hood- South Side 4/20/2005

JM_Gilbert

Climb: Mt Hood-South Side

Date of Climb: 4/20/2005

Trip Report: DJ Strive and I decided to start the season on Hood. What we found was very clear weather and favorable snow conditions but also high winds. These winds were exhausting and we turned around no further than the Palmer lift.

Later, sitting in the Timberline bar we decided to call it a trip and head back to Portland. Strive wanted to check out some vinyl and I wanted simply to drink beer and wander around downtown.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Trip Report:

Okay, you guys are starting to freak me out! What is going on up there! Is this another mysteriously unfinished trip report from the south side... "Okay son, if the snaffles are moving in on your position and you can't talk, just click your mic twice to indicate that you are still okay." snaf.gif Oops, there it is. Glad to hear you made it out of there.

Edited by sweatinoutliquor

Trip Report:

Okay, you guys are starting to freak me out! What is going on up there! Is this another mysteriously unfinished trip report from the south side... "Okay son, if the snaffles are moving in on your position and you can't talk, just click your mic twice to indicate that you are still okay." snaf.gif Oops, there it is. Glad to hear you made it out of there.

What is up this morning? When I checked this post the first time is was just the trip and the date. I come back and there is a report. It sounds like you had a similar experience. wazzup.gif

Just for the future, 9 times out of 10, when there are high winds down low, AND you have clear weather above, the winds stop at around 10k or so. If you can just push through the lower elevation winds on the S. SIde it can be really calm up high. Just a comment. At least you were outside with beautfilu views!!!

I was up there yesterday as well. The wind started getting bad at about seven thousand so I opted to stay near the lift in case it totally whited out. I got to about nine thousand feet and the high winds were not showing any sign of letting up so I bagged it. Snow conditions weren’t too bad; I was postholing to about 10 inches about thirty percent of the time. After I got down it still looked like it the N. wind was hammering the upper mountain.

Just for the future, 9 times out of 10, when there are high winds down low, AND you have clear weather above, the winds stop at around 10k or so. If you can just push through the lower elevation winds on the S. SIde it can be really calm up high.

I couldn't agree more. I've climbed THAT side more than 50 times. Unless you literally cannot walk, or the weather itself is really bad, pull the tampon out and keep going. It will invariably let up just above the Palmer. Usually around Triangle Moraine. hahaha.gif