Climbing Mt Kenya

goatboy

My wife and I are thinking of going to visit family in Africa and attempt to climb Mt Kenya while we're there (via the Standard Route).

I have some specific questions about the route and would very much appreciate hearing if there's anyone out there with experience on the mountain who could answer a few questions for me.

Please PM me or reply here if you prefer.

Thanks!

- Steve

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

which peak on mt kenya?

my brother and I did the trekking peak (class 2/3 at altitude). A good time was had by all. Porters aren't required like on Kili, but I say it's the way to go. Have a great time, I really enjoyed E. Africa and would love to go back to do multiple routes on mt. kenya (especially the ice routes if they ever come in again.)

Thanks, Geordie.

We were considering climbing Batian (the highest summit) but also wonder about the climbing season and such. Waiting to get a guidebook which I've ordered, but thought I'd plug in to this community and see what folks have to say.

What I find out will influence our choice of route, times, and possibly party size/strategy as well.

Thanks,

Steve

Hey Goatboy, from what I read on Mt Kenya you can climb it year round. The seasons really dictate what aspect of the mountain you climb on. There are some short rainy season on the mountain though that you should keep in mind, I can't remember when they are. The routes I would love to get on Diamond coluir, but that hardly comes in, the Diamond buttress looks awesome up to 5.8 climbing and supposedly has good quality rock on the route. The glacier routes are considered dangerous now-a-days due to climatic changes that have exposed a lot of rock. Even just trekking around in the park is suppose to be great.

Park fees currently are at $25 a day that includes camping, lodging in the bunks house will run around $10-15 more a day. I can't remember how much porters cost, but you don't really need them, though it is nice to offer jobs to locals. You are not required to have a guide.

When are you thinking of going? Currently I am living in Rwanda and want to get out there as well, just not sure when I will be able to make it, with work and other travel plans.

These two sites in my opinion have the most useful online information.

http://www.mck.or.ke/mck.html

and

http://www.mountkenya.org/

I've done Kenya by the Noth Face Regular Route. We were there in October and the other side was frozen up. We had a fair bit of snow annd ice on all of the 20-some pitches. We hired porters in Chogoria which I would suggest even though it is not totaly necessary, it added to the experience and made it more fun. Not sure what the S.W. ridge route is like but the raps all needed backing up on our route so take extra webbing, biners etc. The big question for us was footware, we ended up in boots the entire climb because of snow but also did a few points of aid.

The mountain is spectacular and the climbing very much an adventure. You will have a great time!!