Mt St Helens, is it accessible now??

admin

Hey there, I'm new to this site as well as the NW and was wondering what the story on climbing St Helens is at the moment. Is it accessible, legal etc? I have a route book for cascade climbs, but is there a good route for an average climber this time of year? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Also I was looking to climb it this coming weekend (19th or 20th), so if anyone out there is up for it (or another climb if it's not doable) let me know. Thanks!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do many people do Muir this time of year? Can it be done car to car? What are the main risk factors? I'm hoping to try it for the first time whenever I can get to town this spring? Thanks for the info.

It can be done car to car; leave early to maximize daylight.

The biggest risk is weather - hikers get lost in whiteouts up there and wind up on the Nisqually or Paradise glaciers, or they fail to bring adequate protection against the elements.

Do many people do Muir this time of year? Can it be done car to car? What are the main risk factors? I'm hoping to try it for the first time whenever I can get to town this spring? Thanks for the info.

I second kaskadskyjkozak on the whiteout deal...know your shit. Also, think about hauling your skis up there. Saves time and it's an incredible descent. bigdrink.gif