• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
gwhayduke

Pain in my elbow from climbing--

So I started bouldering in August. It lasted two weeks until school started and I started working full-time. Now I've cut back on my hours and I have time for it again.

I got a membership at a local gym 5 days ago and have gone every day. Towards the end of my last two sessions, I've gotten some really ugly pains in my left elbow (and to a lesser degree my shoulder.)

Do you think the best thing to do is keep going, and the pain will go away as I get stronger? Or maybe only go every other day until my strength builds up? Any recommendations as far as stretching or specific non-climbing exercises to help with this?

Inside of the elbow, or outside? Does it feel like it is in the soft tissue, or in the joint itself?

Climb to the point that it just starts to hurt, then lay off for the rest of the day. Trying to suffer through it when you don't know what it is could complicate things.

If I climbed hard at the gym for 5 days in a row I bet my elbows would hurt too. But I'm weak like that.

I'd start with climbing only every other day and see if that helps.

Good god dude, 5 days in a row... man you gotta settle down a little. chill for like 3 or 4 days and let your elbow rest. In climbing you not only have to let your muscles rest but your tendons as well. See your muscles are gonna get stronger so in turn you tendons have to get stronger. But this doesnt happen over night. 3 days a week of quality sessions is enough to make youi strong. After a while when your body feels more adjusted yo ucan move to every other day but one day on one day off or two days on two days off is a good schedule to stick to. 5 days on in a row is not allowing your body to recover so its super counter preductive. Resting makes you stronger

Any recommendations as far as stretching or specific non-climbing exercises to help with this?

Could be a muscle imbalance in your upper arm. Try working your triceps in the weight room and see if that helps.