Pain in my elbow from climbing--

gwhayduke

So I started bouldering in August. It lasted two weeks until school started and I started working full-time. Now I've cut back on my hours and I have time for it again.

I got a membership at a local gym 5 days ago and have gone every day. Towards the end of my last two sessions, I've gotten some really ugly pains in my left elbow (and to a lesser degree my shoulder.)

Do you think the best thing to do is keep going, and the pain will go away as I get stronger? Or maybe only go every other day until my strength builds up? Any recommendations as far as stretching or specific non-climbing exercises to help with this?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Inside of the elbow, or outside? Does it feel like it is in the soft tissue, or in the joint itself?

Climb to the point that it just starts to hurt, then lay off for the rest of the day. Trying to suffer through it when you don't know what it is could complicate things.

• 2 weeks later...

Good god dude, 5 days in a row... man you gotta settle down a little. chill for like 3 or 4 days and let your elbow rest. In climbing you not only have to let your muscles rest but your tendons as well. See your muscles are gonna get stronger so in turn you tendons have to get stronger. But this doesnt happen over night. 3 days a week of quality sessions is enough to make youi strong. After a while when your body feels more adjusted yo ucan move to every other day but one day on one day off or two days on two days off is a good schedule to stick to. 5 days on in a row is not allowing your body to recover so its super counter preductive. Resting makes you stronger