[TR] Kaleetan Peak- scramble 9/6/2004

hendorama

Climb: Kaleetan Peak-scramble

Date of Climb: 9/6/2004

Trip Report:

I am writing this mostly to say that if you enjoy scrambling at all and haven't been up this way, you should check it out. I think the lakes themselves (Melakwa lakes) are scenic enough to justify the hike, and the scramble up Kaleetan makes it that much sweeter. I definitly had a great time and if I get any good photos back tomorrow I'll try posting a few.

The most interesting part was probably this fat old marmot just sitting on this one exposed ledge. I took a picture (like a tool), and then got a little closer, then a little closer. Finally, he looked at me like "listen, I will run, but I really like my spot here, so why don't you just go on up and leave me alone." Enough said I thought, so on I went.

Gear Notes:

Maybe those short trail gaiters for the scree approach.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did this one a couple of weekends ago... Fun scramble, if you can beat the crowds. We counted over 160 individuals between the lakes and the Denny Creek slides on their way up, and about a third had overnight packs on...

Good times though- perfect weather, and it sure beat mowing the lawn.

Oh, one more thing, has anyone here done the trip from Roosevelt to Kaleetan? It looked like fun from the top of Kaleetan, but just curious what others thought.

I did the traverse over the summer...its a little loose in spots but I had a good time. from Kaleetan I went down to the lake and over to Chair peak and back to the alpental parking lot. Here is a shot from Roosevelt.

5600Roosevelt-Kaleetan-Bryant-Chair_012-med.jpg