trail to whatcom pass

vinemaple

We are going to go accross the n.cascades west to east via hannegan pass. anyone been thru recently? The back country ranger at marblemount is'nt sure if any trail work between hannegan and Whatcom pass will get done this summer, said some parties have gone thru some have turned back at brush creek due to flood damage. Would like to go over Whatcom peak to challenger. anyone tried this approach? What's the climb over Whatcom like?

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in the area last week. We met several parties (including two groups of cute young women from the YMCA wink.gif ) who had hiked into Whatcom Pass from Hannegan. I don't think they had much trouble. (We hiked in from Ross Lake, which was also fine.)

We traversed from Whatcom Pass to Perfect Pass by climbing over Whatcom Peak. We did it because the east Whatcom Glacier looked iffy with the gear we had (wimpy boots, aluminum crampons, no ice screws). The north ridge of Whatcom Peak is simple (class 2 max, with little exposure) until the very top. During the last couple hundred vertical, we worked right, onto the NW face, and found the going a bit exposed and loose. Looking down from the summit later, we wondered if we should have climbed more directly up, rather than working right. My partner and I didn't have any trouble, but we wouldn't recommend the route to our wives. Neither of us would be eager to downclimb the route with full backpacks.

Another party followed the same route the day after us. We didn't talk to them, but obviously the Whatcom Peak summit traverse is being backpacked with some frequency these days. If class 2-3 terrain on somewhat loose rock with a bit of exposure doesn't bother you for backpacking, you shouldn't have any problems.