Crossing Austera's E Ridge

upzmtn

I'm hoping to find some general beta about traversing from the Klawatti Glacier, over Austera's E. Ridge, to the N. Klawatti. I've heard of a col but can't locate a 7.5 minute map to show enough detail to find it. Any landmarks to aim for in the hunt for a class 4 or under crossing on the ridge? Any beta appreciated. Thx. Jim

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a picture from Primus showing that traverse photomat is talking about. The traverse is the slope right of the numeral 10 but left of the rock wall (the wall of the E. Ridge of Austera). It won't be snow at this time of year. Probably either talus or heather or some combination of both. III = Klawatti Glacier; IV = N. Klawatti Glacier

83169.jpg

If you'll be coming from the upper Inspiration Glacier near Eldorado, you'll have more difficulty getting over the col between Klawatti and Austera than around the lower E. Ridge of Austera. In winter-spring, the col is easy to get over due to snow ramps. I've read (e.g., Nelson's Select Climbs and Beckey's CAG) that the rocks at the col might require a short rock pitch then short rappel. I don't know the difficulty of the climbing. It looked like it would be about 40 feet high max in summer. The col is on the right side in the photo:

82972.jpg