Bugaboos - Conditions and Weather

Climzalot

Anyone have any first or second hand info on how things have been up there? Any recommendations on places to get current info on the web. I check cbc.ca for weather but I am sure there is a better spot. Any help and or info is greatly appreciated.

cgentzel@aai.cc

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Spent four days up there in the middle of July. Hot, Hot, Hot. Had great weather for 3 days of climbing. Snow conditions were soft and crampons were not needed, even for 3-4 am starts.

The Snowpatch-Bugaboo col was in good shape and didn't present and issues. However, a sizable shrund was beginnng to open about half way up the steep ramp to the col and I imagine that it would be significant by now.

Route condintions were good then, the W. ridge of Piegon had a little veriglass, but it did not present a problem. Cain route on Bug had large snowfielg over class III terrain down low but could be largely avoided. NE Ridge of Bug was snow/ice free and focken awesome!!! New favorite alpine rock route-you need to motor on it though if you don't want to spend the night up there with a lightning storm. I feel fairly competent and knew the descent and spent 14 hours hut to hut. Two parties the had unplanned bivies the previous night. I recommend a 2-3 am start from the hut so you can be at the base the route at first light.

Many parties go unroped throughout the Bugs, but the Snowpatch-Bug col calls for one-especially in icey conditions as they are likely to be now.

Hope this help-have lots o fun!

Cheers