[TR] Roosevelt-Kaleetan-Bryant-Chair- 7/24/2004

AJScott

Climb: Roosevelt-Kaleetan-Bryant-Chair-

Date of Climb: 7/24/2004

Trip Report:

This trip was by no means an asthetic one...I mainly was just out trying to bag some peaks. I lost my Bling Bling sunglasses somewhere on this trip...

5600Roosevelt-Kaleetan-Bryant-Chair_007-med.jpg

I left the Alpental parking lot at 5 and summited Roosevelt via Gem lake at 7:45. Here is a photo of Chair while descending to Snow lake in the morning.

5600Roosevelt-Kaleetan-Bryant-Chair_002-med.jpg

Sat around for a bit and then headed over to Kaleetan via the ridge connecting the two. I was hoping to stay on the ridge as much as possible...but the ridge is fawking looooose, so I ended up on the sides of it quite a bit.

5600Roosevelt-Kaleetan-Bryant-Chair_012-med.jpg

I found two old pitons while making the traverse.

5600Roosevelt-Kaleetan-Bryant-Chair_015-med.jpg

I sat up top of Kaleetan for only 10 minutes before I could here the masses on there way up from Melakwa, So I decided to take off. I went down to the lake and skirted around the left side on scree and talus. I then ascended a large boulder field up to the saddle inbetween Hemlock and Bryant. Now I headed over to Chair staying on the ridge. Beckey has no mention of doing this...but there is no way im the first to do it. The ascent up to Bryant was really easy, but staying on the ridge over to chair was pretty challenging for me.

Here is a couple shots of some of the climbing I found while traversing to Chair:

5600Roosevelt-Kaleetan-Bryant-Chair_021-med.jpg

5600Roosevelt-Kaleetan-Bryant-Chair_023-med.jpg

A shot from the summit of Chair, back on the Kaleetan traverse:

5600Roosevelt-Kaleetan-Bryant-Chair_025-med.jpg

There was a group of 6 that came up the ne butt, and I got tired of listening to them talk about the 10 essentials and other mountaineer stuff...so I took off pretty fast from the summit via the chimney used for the s.e. face route.

5600Roosevelt-Kaleetan-Bryant-Chair_029-med.jpg

Never seen one of these before:

5600Roosevelt-Kaleetan-Bryant-Chair_031-med.jpg

silly...

Ran down to source lake and took a couple swims in the very cold water...

5600Roosevelt-Kaleetan-Bryant-Chair_036-med.jpg

Then I had the great idea to head straight down from source lake to check out some stuff that I had rode in the winter...bushwhhhhaaackkituz. I guess it was nice to get away from the crowds on snow lake trail, but it was a lot of extra work, and not suggested by any means...

Gear Notes:

I think I only had 1 of the 10 essentials.

Approach Notes:

stay on the trail hippy

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice Job man! Did you downclimb that one chossy section on the Roosevelt Kaleetan traverse that gets you to the low point?

As a point of order, if I'm picturing it correctly, I don't think you climbed Bryant (Bryant is to the South of that big talus gully), but sounds like you climbed something cooler.

thumbs_up.gif

I tried to stay on the ridge as much as possible going across to Roosevelt, and there was a lot of chossy sections smile.gif so I think I may have downclimbed it.

I guess Beckey might have me confused if I didnt go over Bryant...I thought coming up from the pass that drops you down to Melakwa lake puts you between Bryant and Hemlock, Bryant being to the north from the notch. I dunno, I will have to get back to the area and have a better look.

btw, nice job on Shuksan chucK...I wanna see some photo's of that ridge up the summit pyramid used by you guys. Sounds like a nice bypass of that gully.

Between Bryant and Chair I climbed some 5.6 sections...but all of that can be avoided by climbing below the ridge on heather and talus. The ridge to Roosevelt is rated at 5.2, but it has a lot of loose rocks, and is not all that fun. Nice exposure and setting though.

Alpinfox...I did have a long timer on my camera, I actually wanted the picture to be of me swimming away from the camera, but that was as far as I could get with how cold it was, so I was mid turn around smile.gif

I actually thought about taking that webbing, it was in good shape...and a real eyesore. I did have fun swinging around on it for a while.