Hoodoo and Libby Peaks

IMAM

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was over in the Star Peak/Courtney Peak/Oval Peak area last weekend. From Oval Peak I used someone's binoculars to spy the ridge between Hoodoo and Libby (aka Raven Ridge). The ridge traverse appeared to be relatively flat but steep and craggy on the west side. I suppose it is doable but I cannot say for sure. The WNW side of Hoodoo is steep but probably climbable. The summit hump of Hoodoo from the Hoodoo-Libby Ridge offers no barriers to advance.

Last year from Martin Peak to the south of Mt. Bigelow I spied the other (south) side of Raven Ridge and it was more of the same: steep boulders and scree.

If you're experienced at traveling this kind of terrain, I'm sure you'll find a way.

I'd be interested to hear a trip report from you--especially concerning whether or not a traverse between Hoodoo and Libby is possible...or what kind of difficulties were encountered.

--Paul

MM-

I am not familiar with Bigelow; strenuously or geographically. If Bigelow is a 1-day climb and is in the same area, I think it is quite doable to nail all 3 in 2 days. Hoodoo/Libby is not that strenous.

We didn't see a single person the whole time on Hoodoo/Libby. It was great. Bring bug spray, the mesquitos at the lake are terrible. The trailhead can be tricky to find, make sure you have good directions or you might get lost.

Have fun.

Paul, thanks for the info. We summited Hoodoo and Libby on Saturday. It took us 12 hours car to car. I think it could be done in 8-10 hours with no breaks.

Hoodoo is a pretty straight forward scramble. We had to do some 4th class scrambling to get around a false summit, but the rest was relatively easy.

The traverse between Hoodoo and Libby took us about 2 hours. Portions of Raven Ridge are pretty exposed (~500ft cliff on one side) and involve some 4th class and low 5th class climbing/downclimbing. I would have preferred a rope (which we didn't bring) but some people may be comfortable with such exposure.

Descending Libby sucked, the quickest way down was through an avalanche gully full of loose rock. It took us 1 hour to drop ~800-900 feet. An easier (less stupid) descent would have been on the South side of Raven Ridge but that would have added several hours. Or you could traverse Raven Ridge back to the notch.

If you are interested in more detail, let me know.