Ghost Peak First Ascent?

jrwclimbs

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JRW – I think that was us (see poltergeist pinnacle TR), which group were you? As for ghost peak, we had some nomenclature problems stemming from our ’99 trip into the range. The old version of the beckey guide has crooked thumb mis-labelled, so we had gone that whole trip with some misconceptions about what was what… then when we changed plan mid-trip last weekend, we misremembered* that what we were climbing was Ghost, and put that in the climber’s register when we signed out. When we got home and studied the photos, we realized that the face we climbed didn’t have an independent name and was in fact a sub-peak of Challenger.

As for the footwear, we were wearing track spikes (for the glacier) with a homemade outsole that straps underneath for the trail. The system works as a lightweight crampon-equivalent that is also very compact when you stick the setup into your pack for the rock climbing. Dan is the mastermind of this invention, he’s got it pretty refined. He was quite disappointed that not a single person on the trail commented on them!

*it is my belief that the word “misremembered” will be seen by history as GWB’s greatest legacy as president

Yeah, this might go in the gear forum, but if anyone is interested in this invention, let me know... There are still a couple kinks to work out, but overall it works very well. I mean heck, I didn't even get a blister on the entire trip, using the same shoes for trail, rock scrambling, bushwhacking, and glacier travel. Forrest wasn't so lucky with the blisters though... but then he has the bargain basement track spikes... :-)