Omega Pacific Announces End of Inmate Program

tomtom

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing OP fails to mention is that there was a court ruling that required them to suspend their prison labor program. I think there was something about it in the first thread about them discontinuing the program.

Ummm, Allison, it's in the Press Release on the Omega-Pacific website.

The announcement comes on the heels of a May 13, 2004 ruling by the Washington State Supreme court which declares participation in the Class I Correctional Industries program inconsistent with constitutional language. Omega Pacific has been a participating member of the combined federal/State program since 1995 and has built the majority of their goods within the Airway Heights Medium Security Correctional Center outside Spokane, Washington. The State Supreme Court had been considering this ruling, which affects seven companies and approximately 175 jobs held by inmate workers, for several months before reaching a 5-4 decision.

Sorry, tomtom, you are right, and I should have looked that up rather than relying on my memory.

Whether they did or did not mention it in their press release really doesn't affect anything though.