Wilderness bolt ban status

marylou

I just did a little research on the status of the Wilderness bolt ban, implemented and then lifted in 1998, and then.....never really resolved.

It's my understanding that the ban is still lifted, but there was supposed to be a ruling made on this and it seems it never was.

Anyone know what happened, say from 2001 to now, on this matter?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

They had a "negotiated rule making" process which essentially is a bunch of comment periods, meetings, etc to suss out the various positions on the issue prior to an agency making rules to implement policy. The process is ongoing, and the rules have not yet been formalized. This process can take years after all the "negotiations" of the rule making process take place. Director's Order 41 was the directive that set this whole shitstorm into effect. The last info I had was from the end of last year when nothing new had happened.

Check with the AF, or the director's office of the NPS or the Sec's office at Dept of Interior.

Thanks Will, your answer was pretty much what I found out just by digging around.

I wonder if it's still a live ball or what, as if it just had a slow death, it might re-emerge with more gusto next time. I kind of got thinking about it because of some other discussions here on the board which are making me wonder what it would take for the climbing community to speak with any kind of clear voice.