Waffles for breakfast....

Martlet

John F. Kennedy's Waffles

rec.food.cooking/Ben A. Fairbank

From a 1961 book called Kings in the Kitchen, edited by Gertrude Booth. It was a collection of recipes solicited from prominent men (all Americans). A strange collection of men and a strange collection of recipes. But one of them was __excellent__ and now my default recipe for waffles is...

begin quotation from page 36

___Waffles___

1/2 cup butter

1 Tbsp sugar

2 egg yolks

7/8 cup milk (or 1 cup buttermilk)

1 cup plus 1 Tbsp Sifted cake flour

pinch of salt

2 stiffly beaten egg whites

4 tsp baking powder

Cream sugar and butter, add egg yolks, and beat. Add flour and milk

alternately. When ready to bake, fold in the egg whites and add baking

powder. Mixture should be thick and fluffy.

Serve with hot maple syrup and melted butter.

John F. Kennedy

Washington, D. C.

end of quotation.

These are lighter, crisper, and more delicate than any other waffles I have had. Very highly recommended. (BTW -- remember to add the salt; the recipe calls for it but does not say when to add it.)

http://www.recipelink.com/mf/31/8778

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I could care less what Bush's family did before he was born.

How much less?

Quite a bit less, as I learned after reading your link. First, I wasn't asking for a link about how GWB's family got their money. I was asking for a link substantiating his claims about what was done with it. I don't care now, nor have I ever, about it. Nor do I care that while Kerry claims he'll be tough on benedict arnold CEO's, (oh wait, that was overzealous speech writers) he's living off money EARNED by Benedict Arnold CEO's.

The link you posted, while a great read, was nothing more than an OpEd conspiracy theory piece. Statistics about the number of legacies that get in? Well duh. I don't call that affirmative action, I call it genetics.

Given: The government will give Sole proprietors and folks with small business Licenses $80,000 tax breaks for buying the "Large" (read: gas guzzling) SUV types, increasing dependence on a foreign commodity which finances terrorism

Thanks for the link. As I suspected, it's a loophole, not the intent of the legislation.

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How much less?

Quite a bit less, as I learned after reading your link.

So does that mean you care quite a bit now, but you could care quite a bit less? Or, do you care less than before, but you could still care quite a bit less? Or perhaps you could care quite a bit less than before, but not necessarily? Could you still care less, or is there still some caring left in you? confused.gif

Quote:

Quote:

How much less?

Quite a bit less, as I learned after reading your link.

So does that mean you care quite a bit now, but you could care quite a bit less? Or, do you care less than before, but you could still care quite a bit less? Or perhaps you could care quite a bit less than before, but not necessarily? Could you still care less, or is there still some caring left in you? confused.gif

It's not that hard to follow. I realize they didn't teach logic in your GED classes, but borrow some from your mom for a sec.

If I could care less, then read your link, and found that I then DID care less, then I couldn't possible care more at this point in time.

I could, however, still probably care a little less.

Post another link and let's find out.