Fuel in Bolivia

rbw1966

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was there in 1995, you could buy blue gas canisters. I don't know what kind they were, but when you screwed them into the stove, the canister would puncture. If you weren't careful, you got a major gas leak and the canister froze. We took them up Huayna Potosi, so they worked at altitude.

There was a discussion last week on rockclimbing.com about htis . . . or rec.climbing, one of the two. MOst of the info said you can buy some fuel someitmes on Calle Sagarniga from teh outfitters up there. But cannisters are not only hard to find, they're not that useful at altitude . . . I recommend tracking odown the discussion, as people made specific mention of different stoves--that work on regular gas, for example--and had specific recommendations. THere's lots of propane in Bolivia, but other fuels are more difficult to get. While on Sagarniga, be sure to walk a bit further to CAlle de las Brujas to see all the peculiar stuff there.

I just did a trip to Cord Real last June. We brough our own white gas (gaz blanco) in from Peru because I'd heard there was none in Bolivia. It's relatively easy to find in Peru. I didn't look that hard in Bolivia, but the locals were eager to take our left over fuel when we left the country.

It seems like I saw the small gas cylinders in several shops in La Paz. There are all sorts of climbing/hiking outfitters in La Paz and they all use cylinders. I suggest you send them an email. Else bring a multi fuel stove. Test it with gasoline before leaving home.

P.S. not sure how often you fly w/ your stove, but the airlines are really cracking down up here. You might want to bring a new one - in the box if possible. You can probably cook your own dinner on the Bolivian flights however.

Via con dios

i used auto gas im my msr whisperlite international. a little dirty but not bad.

too carry your fuel bottles, wash 'em well and fill with water. duct tape over the "danger" label and carry on as water bottles. be prepared to drink from it when they pull it from your luggage though.

I didn't have any trouble finding cannisters for my pocket rocket when I was there last in 2002. Inside a little indoor "mall" on Sagarnaga there is an outdoor store named Condoriri. I bought my cannisters there and got a cool chalk bag. Buy 2 and keep one in your coat for when the other begins to sputter and then switch them. I recommend sleeping with them at the bottom of your bag to have them ready for morning. Of course if you are not planning on any multiday alpine stuff, then just bring an XGK and leave it in base camp. Those things will burn anything.