icegirl

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

icegirl,

thumbs_up.gif

I bought one new when they were introduced years ago and have used it a lot in all kinds of seasons/conditions. I have always liked it and have few complaints. one of its great strengths is not having to mess around with rainflys. it goes up fast and handles very well in heavy wind rain or snow. my only real rub is that it is not free-standing, but that was just being introduced when these tents came out.

when i set it up i always get comments. its kinda fun to see what people say. it is a real window into people's knowledge of tent construction and history.

every now and then I think about buying a newer 4-season, 2-person, free standing tent but I just can't justify that against how great this one works.

I seem to remember that it was advertised at 4.5 lbs but never verified that. It feels more like 6.5 lbs but that is my perception.

what else were you wondering? do you have a chance to pick one up inexpensively? If you would like to try one out for a few days give me a shout and i will be glad to loan it with a few verbal instructions. cool.gif

-hw

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I bought new an Omnipotent in 1979 for a trip to Alaska. We encountered some pretty heavy weather, but the tent performed admirably in wind and rain for quite a few of the 21 days we were in the Brooks Range. I love this tent and it has been my main backpacking tent for many years. The tent feels roomy, even with some gear stuffed down at the bottom end. There's good provision for airflow, so condensation inside is never a problem. It's currently showing a few signs of wear (after 25 years, not too bad)--the outer fabric was beginning to leak a little in heavy rains. I just recently gave the outer fabric a coating of GE Silicone II, mixed about 3:1 with mineral spirits, and it's setting in the back yard now in the rain for a test run. Looks good so far. The tent was originally advertised at 7 pounds, think, maybe 7-1/2, but with some seam sealer, a few extra tent pegs, and plastic groundcover, I think it's a little over 8 pounds, without the vestibule, which adds about another pound. I rarely bother to carry the vestibule, as the tent alone handles most weather fine. I've probably added a couple of ounces more with the silicone coating.

If the tent you are considering is in good condition, not too much used (ie, exposed to sun, which causes the fabric to break down), and you're comfortable with the weight, I'd go for it! If not, let me know--maybe I'll buy it!