• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
Skip_M._Kliphiem

Clueless in Oregon

Thinking about heading down to central OR for some backcountry skiing; Sisters, Bachelor... Never skied there before. Any suggestions, references to previous TR's/threads and conditions would be appreciated. cool.gif

You have several options from Bend, i.e. Dutchman Flat snow park near Bachelor Butte (the most popular start point). Short tour - Tumalo Mt., med tour - Broken Top south side, long tour - S. Sister/Morrain Lake.

You might also consider Khowl Butte wich is S/SE of Bachelor Butte. You'll see it on the left just before you get to the snow park. It's a haul, but the east face gets cooked in spring and can be the best corn around. It's bigger/steeper than it looks - roughly 1.5 X Tumalo Mt.

I posted a TR for 3/14 re: Tam MacArthur Rim wich is the E/NE approach to Broken Top. P.S. I suggest that you pick up a copy of "Oregon Decents" by Dave Wagg.