Summer tele Camp @ Mt. Hood

snoboy

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I've not done Wy'East's summer tele clinic, but have been a student of Shelley's, Nils, others during Nils' annual Beyond the Groomed weekend in mid-Feb--I did that a couple years ago. The Wy'East summer camp is run by Shelley I believe and has the same basic cadre of instructors that gather for Nils' workshops...I can't say enough good about them. You're in for a stellar time if you plan on doing it.

bigdrink.gif

Now that I've reviewed the Wy'East site and see their list of summer camp instructors, I'd love to go too, but don't have the $ or time this year...maybe next year. Snoboy, here's a cc.com thread on the general topic from last fall, including some first-hand info from nonanon: tele class

This may be stating the obvious but a Summer Ski Camp is going to be very "form" technique intensive out of necessity. You'll have 2 ski conditions - hardpack and slush (the window for corn is about 20 minutes) The terrain you get is the Palmer, and just a lane on it (about 50yds wide, full length of upper Palmer) - there's a public park, but Windell's and HCSC have the big parks to themselves - magic mile will almost definitely be a canyon for the july camp, possibly the june camp - and lower palmer won't be much better.

That said the Summer Ski scene is very cool - skiiers from all over the world & country (national teams are there May June), Government Camp is alive, the Gorge is awesome, and where else can you ever see sober teenagers excited to be up at 6:15 in the morning on a summer weekend?

I'd say the corn window is a bit better than 20 min. It always depends upon the day and your altitude anyway. This year there’ll be snow for both sets, but I think you’re right about June being the better choice.

It's not strictly a tele camp. I spent most of the first day cranking parallel turns with Stuart Craig. Around two I snuck into Leighton Whites class just long enough to get a sense of what a fantastic instructor he is. Then I met Nils on a lift. He was gathering a posse to ski a kicker in Zigzag canyon after hours. That was big fun. Afterwards we went down to the lot for beers on the tailgate. Sat. night after a shower and dinner they show the videos and the instructors will slow or stop the tape to highlight areas where you “need work”.

Anyway, I don’t know what it costs these days, but imo, it was a bargain. Two days on snow with some of the best instructors you’re ever gonna meet.