Offering Aerial Photographs at discount prices

Do you know anyone interested in purchasing Aerial Photography?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Do you know anyone interested in purchasing Aerial Photography?

I'm looking at doing Aerial Photographs over the BC/Alberta ranges from the American border north to Lake Louise. I'm posting this to see if there is any interest in climbers looking at publishing new or updated route books in this area. My brother is an unofficial professional photographer and I'm a commercial pilot. Rates would be lower than any available through official businesses, as I wouldn't be doing this for income, only to supplement my flying costs. Let me know if you're interested and for what areas.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can buy aerials from the prov. government for less than $5 each...

I can find alpine oblique shots available free on Randall G's website...

What is a "unofficial professional photographer"? A guy with a camera? If that's the case I must be a pro!

I can buy aerials from the prov. government for less than $5 each...

I can find alpine oblique shots available free on Randall G's website...

What is a "unofficial professional photographer"? A guy with a camera? If that's the case I must be a pro!

hahaha... just trying to get an idea if there is any demand for these sort of shots out there? I guess not if this is true.

confused.gif Where do you find the shots through the provincial government? What kind of shots are these? Are they close-ups of mountains like you'd find in guide books where you can highlight the exact route, or are they distant large area photos like a picture of the topo map? I can't even find postcards for $5 so to find detailed aerial photo's depicting complex routes for $5 seems kinda far fetched. confused.gif The BC gov. charges me $70 to get my licence renewed I doubt they'd offer anything for $5.

I'd be able to produce close-up aerial photos which depict an entire route as good as you'd find in a Sean Dougherty guide. That's more what I'm aiming at, a published guidebook level.

As for an "unofficial professional photographer", he would be someone who's taken photography coarses and who has the equipment and experience. Such as doing a number of wedding photos, article photos, and magazine shots but has never pursued any job offers in photography or payment for services. I guess in short, someone who has experience shooting in situations normally offering pay but doing it rather for the fun and experience.

The $5 ones are stereophotos used for mapping, so technically you need to buy 2 to make them work. Not exactly guidebook style. Straight down from above usually at 1:20 000 to 1:15 000 scale.

The problem with aerial oblique shots as used in Selkirks South and Alpine Select (for instance) is that often times they aren't much use when you are on the ground or on the route owing to the different perspective.

Also the guidebook author usually wants to take the air photos themselves.

I just wait till Im working in the area then take the photos from the helicopter hahaha.gif

• 3 weeks later...

i'm writing a scrambles guidebook to the coast range with aerial photos. i hired a plane and did all the photography myself. i agree with dru, i wanted to do the photography myself and wouldn't buy images.

if you're ever looking for someone to help pay for flights i would be interested in going with you and taking more pictures. i'd love to get some winter shots of a bunch of areas. email me at matosan@hotmail.com