Seeking Editor for Mountaineer Annual

Lowell_Skoog

Since 1907 the Mountaineer Annual has been an important journal of record for Cascade mountaineering. The Annual was published regularly from the beginning of the club through 1983. Since then, it has been published only sporadically.

The Mountaineers History Committee is seeking to restore the Annual as a regular publication. The Annual records the activities of the club: climbing, skiing, hiking, kayaking, bicycling, sailing, conservation, outdoor volunteerism, and more. The Annual also acknowledges important developments outside the club that pertain to its mission, "to explore, study, preserve, and enjoy the natural beauty of the outdoors."

The Mountaineers History Committee is seeking a volunteer editor for the next Mountaineer Annual. If you are interested or would like to learn more about this project, please contact me at the e-mail address below.

Lowell Skoog

(Mountaineers History Committee member)

lowell.skoog@alpenglow.org

[ 04-15-2002, 10:06 AM: Message edited by: Lowell Skoog ]

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have to be a mountaineer? What are the skills necessary? Are "Mountaineers History Committee members" voting in their editor?

What are the benes if any? What are some reasons to do this other than personal satisfaction? What would one stand to gain or benefit? [big Drink]

The Mountaineers History Committee has assumed ownership of this project. They're ones most interested in seeing it go forward. So yes, the committee would make the final decision of an editor. The question of whether the editor needs to be a Mountaineer has not come up at the meetings that I've attended. I suspect that the skills and commitment of the candidate would be the most important factor.

Good organizational skills, attention to detail, good English language skills. Those would be the skills of a good editor. An outstanding editor would also have the ability to reach out into the community and help gather materials to publish.

The Mountaineers are a voluntary organization. Members contribute for various reasons: to learn something, to meet people with similar interests, to get involved. As an amateur historian, I value the Mountaineer Annual as a place where many developments in Northwest mountaineering have been documented over the years. I'd like to see that continue, but I'm too busy with my own projects to edit the Annual myself.

There are no bennies in the conventional sense. I imagine that a successful editor would "believe in the cause," and would enjoy the process of bringing together an interesting publication. Experience in this sort of project could be valuable to a person with long-term interests in publishing and/or the Northwest outdoor recreation, but I can't predict where it might lead.

Hmm ok exactly what I thought. Just had to ask the dumb questions anyone else would probably ask. I am not part of the mountaineers but knowing if you had to be I think could be important if someone was remotely interested and was turned off because of the membership needs.. I would certainly not want to attend the hootenannny square dance single gatherings for fear of turning redneck. Although there are some hot girls in the basic course from time to time [Wink] Cheers Beers and good luck [big Drink]