Another bivy question

Timcb

thinking about bivies again, it seems that it sucks big time to have to use a bivy sac in actual bad weather. Once you're tucked in it might be ok, but in terms of getting in/out, cooking, etc, a bivy in the rain/heavy snow seems totally unpleasant.

with that in mind, I'm considering the ID south col or the ID endurance bag cover + a siltarp for predicted bad weather. The south col has much better self sufficiency, but I reckon most of my climbs will be under above average conditions, in which case something exceptionally light (the bag cover) is really all you need. Then when conditions call for it, the siltarp can be pitched over you and your buddy's heads, also providing a protected space to cook and keep your gear.

+/-?

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, tarp and bivi is a good combo. Still lighter than a tent because of no poles.

Jim at Pro Mountain Sports has some sweet lightweight tarps. My buddy used one for a bivi on the summit of Mt Suart and it looked nice, I was jealous. It set up with his extendable treking pole.

As for the bivi, I think ID makes good ones, or Bibler.