good catch

Gary_Yngve

klenke said:

I was once doing this climb of Twin Peaks with some old man named Brian. After we were done rappeling from the summit block, I proceeded to pull the rope. When the rope came free, I yelled out "rope!" and then caught it within two feet of the end. Old man said if you catch the rope that close to the end then you are owed a beer by the others in the climbing party. I never did get that beer, Brian. frown.gif

Thanks for reminding me Paul, I do intend to buy you that beer. Remember, I'd rather owe it to you all my life than cheat you out of it.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dru said:

I caught a tree once when falling off a cliff... blush.gif

So did I once. 'Cept I was skiing. My "tree" was a young one not more than three feet tall. It was the last tree before the edge. This was above Powder Bowl at Crystal Mountain. Cliff was about 50 feet high and rocky at its base. Woulda been real bad news. Probably the closest I ever came to dying or maiming myself in the mountains.

forrest_m said:

i actually did this just the other day. not only that, but i actually tracked the knife long enough to let the handle spin back to me so as not to catch the blade. i ended up down on one knee with the knife only an inch or two off the floor. i was alone in the kitchen, but i swear, for a second there i could hear the cheering of a full stadium... "what an amazing save, the crowd goes wild!"

I've dropped large knives in the kitchen before, while wearing Teva's! cry.gif

A friend back in High School days was walking across the field at a track meet when someone "dropped" a javelin from the other end of said field. Friend "caught" it with the quads of his left leg. Pinned him to the ground like one of those butterflies in the display cases down at the Natural History Museum. shocked.gif

He was OK, eventually, but I think he switched from sports to Stage Band after that.

Can't even remember the guy's name now, it's been so long. frown.gif

i once took a long leader fall on an easy climb so we won't talk about exactly which one it was (it was wet, ok). anyway, i had run it out a little right before i greased so it was like a 40' slab slide (minor abrasions). anyway, as i got back to the spot where i fell a put a nut in to avoid earlier mistake. as soon as i moved past the nut it fell out but i simultaneously caught the nut with my foot and made the move i had wet greased on.

i got a lot of crap for that leader fall but nobody gave me credit for my recovery the second time around. wazzup.gifrolleyes.gifyellaf.gifmoon.gif