combination altimeter/heart rate monitors

cjain

Anyone have any experience with the Polar S720i ? How good is its altimeter?http://www.polarusa.com/Products/Consumer/S720.asp

I'm trying to decide between it and the Suunto x6hr. Both of these are combination altimeter/HRMs that allow you to log data and download it to your PC.

The S720i seems to be the only model Polar makes that has an altimeter. I can't find very much information on the Polar web site about the altimeter function--the manual seems to mention it only in passing. But if it is as good as the Suunto or Avocet altimeters, the S720i may be the one to get.

For the last few days been playing with a Suunto x6hr and am trying to decide if I'll keep it. The Polar S720i seems to offer many of the same features and at a better price. (The S720i does not offer the compass, but I expect to always carry an "analog" compass with me anyway. Also the S720i doesn't have the inclinometer, but the x6hr inclinometer doesn't work when the HRM is going and in my opinion this diminishes its usefulness.)

Both the Polar S720i and the Suunto x6hr allow you to log and download data to your PC. From what I've heard the Polar software seems to work pretty well and is documented well. From the little time that I've spent playing with the Suunto software, it seems difficult to use and is poorly documented.

Also the Suunto x6hr seems to have trouble picking up the heart rate signal in my car (but works in my gf's car) and on the stairmaster at the climbing gym--apparently due to rf interference. I'm not sure if the Polar would do any better with this regard.

Anyway, I'm coming to the conclusion that the Polar S720i may be a better choice *IF* its altimeter is up to par. Unfortunatley, I don't have any prior experience with either HRMs or altimeters so I welcome any comments or suggestions.

Thanks!

Chris

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure if that is the case with the x6hr. The Suunto Advizor is advertised (from what I can see on the web) as using Polar technology and the transmitter actaully as the Polar label. However, these are conspiculously absent on the Suunto x6hr. It could be that in the x6hr, Polar is allowing Suunto to private-label its technology, but I doubt that Polar would agree to that, especially with a product that appears to be aimed at breaking into their "turf." But this is just speculation. I should probably call Polar or Suunto to find out.

Wankers. Why the hell do you need a heart rate monitor?

Don't be so techie Geek_em8.gif Just go run, or bike, or whatever, you don't need to know your maximum blah blah and your minimum blah blah or your resting blah blah.

Try to be a bit more stoic and manly eh? Maybe go club a baby seal for some therapy or something.

Damn, modern technowimps.