Traveler's Insurance

carolyn

Enlight of the situation I encountered this past weekend and the fact I was caught in another country without health insurance...

I know I read a while ago about travellers insurance, specifically for backpackers, climbers, etc. I cant for the life of me remember if it was in a magazine or website. It sure would have been nice to have something like this last weekend...and probly would be nice in the future.

Does anybody use travellers insurance? KNow of any good one's? I know AAC has rescue insurance, which I MIGHT consider as I start doing more. But the immediate emergency medical would be priority.

Please no lectures on getting health insurance...Im working on it, but its not always as easy at it might seem.

Thanks!

carolyn

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have used travel insurance several times for up to six months at at time. Generally, it's only good outside the U.S. and is void upon your return. From what I recall, policies from different companies are pretty much the same since (I think) they go through the same mother company. At the time I called a bunch of health insurance companies from the yellow pages and asked about travel insurance. The rates were nearly identical. I honestly cannot remember how much, but it was reasonable even for me, a frequently uninsured, currently unemployed cheapskate. It took only a few minutes to get: fill out the form, write the check.

As a climber, you should ask for the "Risk Rider" (or something like that). This rider will cover things like skiing, scuba and climbing. However, there is probably a limit on elevation, which is where the AAC insurance comes in handy. I had AAC and CAS coverage for higher altitude rescue insurance, but depended on my general travel insurance for things like breaking my arm while sport climbing.

One thing I remember about travel insurance is that it did not cover bacterial infections. E boli? I thought that was odd, and I wondered how that might come into play.

I also recall that the insurance operates on reimbursement plan, so you would have to pay for the costs up front, or have the medical center bill you. That's a little scary, but so is breaking both your legs skiing and not having any insurance. Fortunately, I've never had to cash in on the policies. Nary a broken bone, knock on wood. Make sure you read and understand your policy, the rider and the limitations before you sign up.

Carolyn, I don't know about the situation you encountered over the weekend, but if you were in Canada just for the weekend, having a travel insurance policy might not be appropriate. I'm really not sure. The insurance companies will let you know if you hammer them with a bunch of questions ahead of time.

And as for getting regular insurance, I have what I call "hit by a bus" insurance through Fortis Health. Emergency only, $1000 deductible, about $50 per month up to 6 months. It beats the family getting on my case about getting insured.

Hope that helps.

Carolyn,

I just read your accident report. Glad you're OK!! I took an unpleasnat fall a couple of years ago ski touring and it's changed me. I didn't break any bones or even get seriously injured, similar to your situation, but it's made me a little more chicken out there. I'm still at it, just being more cautious, sometimes too much so. Then I later ask myself, "What the heck am I afraid of??" It wears off, but possibly slowly. Best advice out there is to keep at it.

Ciao.