Castle Rock trail project during RopeUp

mattp

As part of this year's ropeup, there will be a trail project at Castle Rock on Sunday, October 12, from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. If you want to help, bring work gloves and a helmet; wear sturdy boots.

If you climb much around Leavenworth, you know that the access routes serving many of the crags suffer from erosion and other problems. Prior to Sunday's trail project, there may be some Forest Service personnel on hand to make a presentation or answer questions about their policies regarding climber's trails in the Leavenworth. This may take place at the campsite, or at the site of the trail project itself.

The Access Fund was heavily involved in the creation of trails at Peshastin Pinnacles and Castle Rock, but it has been ten years since they've had a trail project in the Leavenworth area. I, for one, am very glad to spend a few hours scratching in the dirt and I take it as a positive step that the Forest Service wants to work with us on this project. If you don't mind getting a little bit dirty, please show up and lend your support.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed, there are lots of trails around Leavenworth that need more work than the Castle Rock trail. As I understand it, the Castle Rock trail has been selected because it is already a formalized trail in their general management plan. I believe that, before they can let us go to work on something like the Midnight Rock trail, they'd have to undertake some more extensive environmental review or something like that. The Castle Rock trail is also a popular trail that is used by climbers and non-climbers who simply walk up to the top of Castle Rock for the view, and for that reason it may be appropriate to attempt to maintain the trail to a higher standard than most of us may think is absolutely necessary. It is a bit of an eroded sandy mess in places, and if they can improve that situation, it would be great!

seems like an odd trail to work on??

and i can only hope that the access fund leaves the sledges at home so they do not ruin a trail like the access fund deal at index last year...they took a stepped trail and turned it into a mud slide! sledged boulders on the trail and made them tipsy...but i digress..

sorry.

I don't know about the lost steps at Index, Erik, but I think they built some damn nice trails at North Bend, Frenchmen's Coulee, Tieton and Darrington. In some cases it has taken a couple of "tries" before they were able to comlete something that wore well, but they've generally done good work in my view. Why don't you show up on Sunday and show us how to do it right?

I don't think you are the only one with misgivings about the Access Fund, Erik, but on balance I believe they have done a lot for Washington climbing. I'd like to hear what you have to say about them or Index, though. Let's get together tomorrow night.