Next Step?

CraigA

Which route do you feel is easier, Adams Glacier (Adams) or Sandy Glacier Headwall (Hood)? I'm looking to try one of them this year (once this damn knee gets better) and was wanting some feed back as to which one might be a better first try. I've only done some basic route's Helen's (late winter, spring) Adams-Mazama Glacier and Hood's south side a couple of times. I've done a little rock and have some practice on steeper stuff. I intend to do Leuthold and Wy'East on Hood, and The Castle on Adams before trying AG or SHW.

So which one would you do? Recommend?

Thanks,Craig

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Easier: Sandy Headwall, though they are both similar and both have some interesting difficulties.

Recommend: Adams Glacier, for its size and scenic qualities

Please visit http://www.mountainwerks.com/alexk/climb/adams.htm for some pictures

Sandy Headwall's most interesting part is its approach, if you traverse higher over Yocum Ridge, rather than skirt the lower Yocum. Otherwise the route is unremarkable and (dare I say) boring.

Adams Glacier is a larger route, not any steeper really, but certainly has much much larger crevasses on it, and thus inherently more dangerous. Additionaly, Adams Gl descent down the N Ridge is unsavory and long and exposed, while Sandy Headwall's descent down the SouthSide is quite mellow.

[ 02-12-2002: Message edited by: Alex ]