Once Upon A Time I Didn't Know Where TF I Was, And

EWolfe

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

...Me and a buddy were on a two week mid winter trip in the cold climate of the laurentian shield and the Huron mountains (small m, but great granite) on an ambitious 100 mile traverse.

we had a feature to cross to get into another part of the hurons, a five mile wide swamp. This thing was thirty five plus miles long, and an end run was out of the question. We planned on a beeline due north thru the swamp, being mid winter.

hit the swamp early morning, began the struggle fest.

we ate lunch in the swamp. Lucky it was mid winter. It was fighting deadfalls on snow all day.

we made it thru, exhausted, at dusk, to some higher ground. In the morning, we look around us, and realize we cannot recognize any of the landmarks and match them up on the map.

Oh well, we're going to run into some part of the Hurons soon, so we continue due north, and promply hit ANOTHER swamp in two hours time.

We head on in. During the morning a coast guard C-130 overflights us, buzzing at treeline, so they must have seen us in the middle of Bumfuck, in the middle of a huge swamp, and wondered what we were up too, but no biggee, it just scared the begeezus out of us.

at some point in the afternoon, we find a thirty foot granite mound in the middle of the swamp.

my buddy Rich says, "I know exactly where we are", digs into his pack, and pulls out ANOTHER Quad (we had fifteen or more for that trip) than the one we had in the nav bag.

we had gotten so far off route fighting swamps for two days, we wound up on the next quad over!

-he had seen that feature during the planning for the trip, and thought is was interesting- we were totally on the wrong quad evertime we tried to orient ourselves!!

by nightfall we were on top of one of the Hurons, making camp for a rest day.

lesson learned- Don't assume you even know what quad you are in, once you realize you are lost.