Shuksan, Sulphide Gl.

Robc

On the summit pyramid we climbed steep snow to the start of the central gully. Here it seemed like a good idea to belay for a couple of pitches on mixed snow and rock. Below where the snow ends you can exit left and scramble class 3 rock to the summit. Our biggest fiasco was forgetting to bring anything resembling a cooking pot to boil water in. I emptied out a 4" X 2" X 2" tea tin and we used that. The campsites at the snout of the Sulphide glacier are really cool. The open air composting toilet may have the best view of any lavatory in the state of Washington and I enjoyed using it immensely.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This Saturday, myself and two others did a one day trip of Shuksan, via the sulphide glacier. it was a LONG day. it took us a little less than 12 hours r.t. when we were about to enter the summit gully, 3 guys knocked loose some huge rocks and nearly killed one of my climbing partners. They ducked out of the way just in time, the rocks tumbled to the glacier below. They seemed rather unsympathetic and unapologetic for having nearly killed a person with rock fall inflicted by them. overall, good trip. thumbs_up.gif

We had a large rock come out of nowhere from near the top of the gully. I was belaying below and tried to lean behind an adjacent rock bulge as I watched it come down, ready to move fast if it careened in my direction. There were no other climbers above us so it was apparently a result of snow melting around loose rock. Anyone below us could have been hit.