Ice in Stehekin?

Jason_Martin

Here's a tough question for Washington Ice Climbers...

Has anyone ever climbed ice in the Stehekin area? In particular has anyone sent Rainbow Falls?

I'm interested in anything that people might have done that was accessed via Lake Chelan.

As most of you know I'm one of the two guidebook authors working on a Washington State Ice Guide. We are hoping to have this project finished at the end of the ice season this year. So if anyone has any info at all it would be greatly appreciated.

Email beta to wastateice@yahoo.com or directly to me at j_dougie@yahoo.com.

Thanks to everyone who has helped with this project thus far.

Jason

• 4 years later...
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been a long time since I've seen that story. Didn't even know you had it, Blake!

Sorry to say I've only seen the falls in shape twice since that time. Once I was just getting back from a week long ski trip around the angnes, and the other, just last winter, I had no partners in town.

One thing that story didn't make clear was that I had an interalp wood shaft ice ax. The thing was basically an alpinstock. Great for leaning on while contemplating a mountain panorama. The other tool was a chounaird (sp?) crag hammer that we had filed some teeth into. A third tool was just a carpenter hammer for the second to clean out pipe pitons.

I'd love to do it again with better gear ( I do have some!). I don't think it's really a gnarly climb, or anything. This winter, it was looking pretty recreational, though the ice was thin.

Other than Rainbow falls, there are only small seeps or cascades in some of the creeks that freeze up. I have seen some great looking blue tongues of ice on the north side of Tupshin and McGregor in the winter, but it's a project enough on skis just to see those places..

That guy, Too Tall, jizz bucket Dave.....he da man!