Climbable areas near spokane on a hot day?

Matt_Anderson

I'm flying out to Spokane in a friend's small plane and have some time to climb. Possibly a couple of half-days.

What suggestions do you have for good places to climb if it's hot?

My transportation options are either borrowing the in-laws car or taking my friend's plane to a nearby airport and finding some way to get from the airport to the crag (Like, if we went to Metaline, we'd probably fly into Spokane, drop of my honey to see her parents, fly to metaline and see if we could find a loaner car to get to the crag).

Where's the shady/cool/high altitude climbing?

Sport is probably best, for gear and weight considerations (on the plane).

thanks

matt

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

matt

lacede is a cool place with the river(or is it a lake) right accross the road.

the rock is gneiss with a lotsa bolted and some gear climbs...i got the topos at my house.....when you going you can copy them!!

it is nw of sandpoint.....

tho i might be hot sometimes.....most of it is south facing.

sobo said:

See this thread.

Another, perhaps better, thread (same question, cross-posted to this forum)

erik said:

matt

lacede is a cool place with the river(or is it a lake) right accross the road.

the rock is gneiss with a lotsa bolted and some gear climbs...i got the topos at my house.....when you going you can copy them!!

it is nw of sandpoint.....

tho i might be hot sometimes.....most of it is south facing.

Laclede Rocks are southwest of Sandpoint, and precisely because they are mostly south-facing, can be hotter than much climbing closer to and around Spokane.

How much more does a rack weigh? For sport, Bland's INW Rock Climbs is the book to have, but disregard his BS description of Minnehaha Rocks. He's correct at least in the sense that Minne's climbs are not sport routes, but Minne does have some excellent, abundant bouldering if you're into not flying with a rack.

For sport closest to Spokane, Deep Creek is your best bet. Deep Creek is fractured basalt, but good nonetheless. Metaline Falls' limestone also has good sport climbs, but will be hotter since much of it is south-facing.

For higher altitude climbing, the granite of Chimney Rock in Idaho's Selkirks is a place to be, but it's all trad and generally requires a full day. Trail in is still very snow-covered (elevation is above 6,000'). There's now a new approach road from east side of Priest Lake, so if you're going, email or PM me and I'll give the new approach road beta.

What's your definition of "hot?" Things are fairly cool now (at least temp's are near average), and the forecast calls for temps to not rise much higher, so all the climbing is good.

Have fun, Matt, and enjoy your stay around Spokane.

• 7 years later...