Climbing wall questions . .

Matt_Anderson

So I'm building a garage that will be almost totally dedicated to a climbing wall. I'm getting down to the nitty gritty and I'm looking for opinions:

General background - It'll be about 20 feet deep by about 21 or 22 feet wide with 12 foot ceilings. That’s as big as zoning will allow. Presently I'm planning to have climbing on the left wall (30 degrees past vertical), rear wall (20 degrees past vertical) and right wall 45 degrees past vertical). The 20-degree wall will have the least climbing space because the 30 and 45 degree walls will cut into it. The 30 and 45-degree walls will be the primary walls.

1) Room between the walls: I’m second guessing the angles on the primary walls because the 30 and 45 degree walls will come together only about two feet apart. This is a problem for two reasons – First, I don’t want to worry about hitting the 30-degree wall if I miss a lunge to the top of the 45-degree wall (and vice versa). Second, the 20-degree wall will not be much fun except for traversing because the top will be so small.

Anybody have any experience with walls that come together at the top like this? I’d be interested in what their angles were, what their how far apart the tops were and whether worry about hitting the opposing wall was a concern when climbing.

2) Kick boards – At what angle do you think that a kickboard becomes a good use of space – I presently intend to intent to put a 1 ½ foot kickboard on the 45-degree wall, but probably not on the 30 degree and definitely not on the 20. I’ll have old mattresses with a carpet cover for padding, starting a little bit back from the start of the wall. Since the wall angles may change I’m not just interested in the 3 angles I listed only, but also the cut off for degree that means you start putting a kickboard in. I may wind up having the walls be 40, 15, and 25 from left to right.

3) Anybody know what the exact angle is on the bouldering wall on the left as you enter the bouldering area at the Vertical World near fisherman’s terminal? It looks about 30, but I’m curious if you think/know if it is a bit more or less).

thanks,

matt

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Matt_Anderson said:

So I'm building a garage that will be almost totally dedicated to a climbing wall. I'm getting down to the nitty gritty and I'm looking for opinions:

General background - It'll be about 20 feet deep by about 21 or 22 feet wide with 12 foot ceilings. That’s as big as zoning will allow. Presently I'm planning to have climbing on the left wall (30 degrees past vertical), rear wall (20 degrees past vertical) and right wall 45 degrees past vertical). The 20-degree wall will have the least climbing space because the 30 and 45 degree walls will cut into it. The 30 and 45-degree walls will be the primary walls.

1) Room between the walls: I’m second guessing the angles on the primary walls because the 30 and 45 degree walls will come together only about two feet apart. This is a problem for two reasons – First, I don’t want to worry about hitting the 30-degree wall if I miss a lunge to the top of the 45-degree wall (and vice versa). Second, the 20-degree wall will not be much fun except for traversing because the top will be so small.

Anybody have any experience with walls that come together at the top like this? I’d be interested in what their angles were, what their how far apart the tops were and whether worry about hitting the opposing wall was a concern when climbing.

2) Kick boards – At what angle do you think that a kickboard becomes a good use of space – I presently intend to intent to put a 1 ½ foot kickboard on the 45-degree wall, but probably not on the 30 degree and definitely not on the 20. I’ll have old mattresses with a carpet cover for padding, starting a little bit back from the start of the wall. Since the wall angles may change I’m not just interested in the 3 angles I listed only, but also the cut off for degree that means you start putting a kickboard in. I may wind up having the walls be 40, 15, and 25 from left to right.

3) Anybody know what the exact angle is on the bouldering wall on the left as you enter the bouldering area at the Vertical World near fisherman’s terminal? It looks about 30, but I’m curious if you think/know if it is a bit more or less).

thanks,

matt

Hey Matt...my suggestion would be to NOT put walls on both sides of the gym, but to put one continuous side w/ breaks in the angle and finish it into a roof...Straight angles don't build as much power as an angle break where you have to turn the break...ie. 30 degree to a 45 degree break...causes a lot of body tension to hold on...

RuMR is right just say no to flat walls.. the more angles the better... just pretend you are making a boulder...pound some beers and such and start cutting like crazy....sterile walls are boring.

and yes hitting your head can be an issue but if u change the angles on the way up you can get away from that potential headache...

bigdrink.gif