TR South Sister, 6/15/03

cracked

Climbed it in 5 hrs up, skied down. Many, many Mazamas madgo_ron.gif. Lots of snow has melted in the past week, judging from Cletus' and Timm@y's photos; we had to go to the skiers right to find continuous snow. Oh, and take sneakers, the route is much faster and easier if you don't hike in ski boots.

We had an epic drive, though, hitting an elk on the highway in the morning, deploying airbags, smashing the windshield, overheating car, etc. Got to the trailhead, climbed, skied, and the POS actually got us back to Springfield! And the next morning it barely made it to the junkyard without dying! hellno3d.gif

So go ski the mountain thumbs_up.gif, but watch out for elks thumbs_down.gif.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice to hear you had a good time. I had a similar car-tastrophe on the way to the Grasslands at Smith. I swerved to avoid 6 deer in the middle of the road and did a slow-motion, drivers-side leading roll. Had a redneck with a winch pop me back on all fours and drove to the grasslands, climbed all weekend and drove it back home. Of course it rained.

Glad you are all right.