Haul rope question

tomrogers

Any experience or herese regarding the use of Canyon(eering) static ropes as haul lines for wall climbing.

For instance:

a traditional static rope has about 2.9% elongation (you fall you hurt)

a Canyoneering staic rope has about 4% elongation (capable of falls ff< 1.0)

a dynamic rope has a >7% elongation

So the bottom line question is how do they haul (200 lb) as compared to a standard static line in actual practice. I hate to waste all that energy.

Regards,

tom

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Somebody asked my wife about static ropes - she's the family expert after living out of her car for months as she did walls in the valley. She like dynamic ropes for the following reasons that I can remember:

(1) Your haul line can be a backup rope

(2) If you accidently drop your haul bag after hauling it up to your new anchors, the bag may fall 50m which could generate enough force on a static line to tear out your anchors.

There may be other reasons as well, but those seem pretty good. This assumes a one or two person party with minimum gear. Larger, better equipped groups may choose differently.

As for canyoneering ropes, they sound partially dynamic so it would be hard to say. You might see if the equipment manufacturer has a recommendation or you could do your own tests.