Skaha TR

catturdeat

Headed out there for the weekend, perhaps THE busiest climbing area I have ever had the displeasure of going to. Granted, it was the Victoria Day long weekend up there, but there were people, literally, on EVERY climb. No Joke. I didn't have a partner, and I was only able to scum one belay (thanks Lane) off of someone who looked as if they wouldn't drop me on my head, spent the rest of the time running around looking for solitude/bouldering.

It's a great place to crag, some awesome (albeit over-bolted) routes, not much Trad though, but the people were INSANE. At one point, I counted almost twenty five people climbing on a cliff band that was a hundered feet wide. All I could think of was: "Ants. They're not people, they're ants. Run away." So I did.

I also got followed by a leashless rotweiler that wouldn't heed the calls of his owner. This despite the "Dogs must be on leashes" sign in the parking lot. I didn't see a dog on a leash, so I ran their owners off the trail out of spite, when I got the chance.

The icing on the cake was the kid that was literally SCREAMING. His Dad said "No screaming at the crag." I'd rather get nailed by rockfall.

The best part of the whole day, other than the stellar weather, was the beer back at the car. I think I'll get a Canadian calendar....

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I was up at Skaha a couple of weekends ago and had the exact opposite experience. There was hardly anyone there, we had access to any route we wanted, and had a fantastic time.

It's unfortunate that you were up there on a holiday, because when that place is more chill, it is a very peaceful place to climb. Even on a busy day, you can get away from the crowds by hiking to the areas that are about and hour from the parking lot. The best climbs are back there too!

I hope you give it another chance, because I think it is a great climbing area. By the way, the guide book (which is six years old) indicates that at least 300 routes require at least some gear placements. Some of the walls that are further from the lot are all trad.

Did you notice that there was poison ivy EVERYWHERE? I have never seen so much in one area.

At least you enjoyed a nice bigdrink.gif

thumbs_up.gif