Ice in the Sierra's?

Farrgo

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

M32, when you are at 8k feet in a north facing canyon ice can always form! Check out right side first, then play on Chouinard Falls, then head to the main flows for some real challenge. We were climbing down there almost into April. Have a blast and mix it up. You are there when you can boulder at Happys and Sads, clip bolts in the ORG, get on some melted out alpine routes, jump on some ice, and soak at the hot springs (check out the Crab Cooker) all in a week's time. Really great way to mix up the week!

I was in Lee Vining two weeks ago and there was still ample ice to be found. If the current weather pattern holds it should be around for a little while.

Things melted out significantly in mid-January. There was a heat wave in the southwest. A buddy of mine was guiding in Lee Vining and temps hit nearly seventy degrees! Not a great time to be climbing ice.

Since then it's cooled down significantly and as I stated above, there was plenty of good climbing there two weeks ago.

Jason