Climbing & MT biking under I-5

Dave_Schuldt

Found this on the BBTC list serve.

Check this out- note the talk of a CLIMBING FACILITY!!!!

http://www.cityofseattle.net/parks/proparks/projects/i-5openspace.htm

Dear Supporters of the I-5 Open Space,

Thanks so much to those who came out last night to the Site Planning Kick-offMeeting. We had a perfect showing. All of the chairs in the room were filled

and 12 of the 18 attendees were mountainbikers. As we went around the room

with introductions people had a range of excellent things to say. "I work at

the Hutch and would love to ride during lunch." "I live in Wallingford and

would ride from home." "We will build and maintain the trails for the city."

We were a professional, polite, creative crowd. Of the non-mountainbiker in

the crowd I think we won nearly all of them over. People hung around to see

Art Tuftee's photographs of trail features and to talk with the mountainbikers.

People generally saw a big opportunity to work with the various groups to

create an active, interesting and safe space.

There is good reason to participate again next week. The immediate

neighborhood group, Eastlake Community Council is meeting to discuss this open

space. Please come to this meeting and make the same very positive impression.

These early meetings are where the tone gets set for projects like these. If

we can make as good a showing at this next meeting, we are likely to turn the

tide for ever so that mountain trails will be seen as a positive element that

will keep the park busy with healthy activity. I believe there will only be a

few critical meetings like this. What makes this one so important is that an

article has already been published in the Eastlake News (their newsletter,

which was handed out last night) that poo-poos the ideas of having dog,

mountainbike and CLIMBING facilities in the park. But! the guy who wrote the

article was quite friendly last night. So he might back down as he gets to

know us. So let's get to know him - Frank Gonzalez. Please join us for just

one after-dinner hour this time.

The meeting is on:

Tuesday, Feb 25th from 8:00 - 9:00 pm in the

TOPS-Seward School Library, 2500 Franklin Ave E.,

which appears to be at on the corner of Franklin E

and the E Roanoke, a block east of Eastlake.

See you there,

Jack Tomkinson

I-5 Trails Coalition

Executive Director, Urban Sparks

992-2779

More info at bbtc.org

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice idea. I wonder if anyone has considered the rammifications of exercising in a sewer of noxious gasses? carbon monoxide and particulate emissions from the interstate above are heavier than air and likely just sink to the ground in the immediate area. (I model this kind of thing at my day job.) Children, asthmatics, and other particularly susceptible folks may want to think twice before spending too much time in the area.

Thinker said:

Nice idea. I wonder if anyone has considered the rammifications of exercising in a sewer of noxious gasses? carbon monoxide and particulate emissions from the interstate above are heavier than air and likely just sink to the ground in the immediate area. (I model this kind of thing at my day job.) Children, asthmatics, and other particularly susceptible folks may want to think twice before spending too much time in the area.

That's interesting. I briefly had a job with Arco Products testing emissions from reformulated gasolines. We measured aldehydes from fuels made using ethanol mixed with gasoline. You get quite a lot of very toxic compounds like acetaldehyde and acrolein when you burn alcohol.

I heard 2nd hand from a former Zymogenetics employee that an air filtration system installed in their building a while back plugged up very quickly, the cause being the massive amounts of particulates (exhaust, rubber bits, etc.) in the area (very near I-5). The situation was fixed by installing some super prefilters upstream of the hepa filters. Now they have 'good' air to breath. But, yes, I'd be concerned about raising children or exercising near any urban interstate....how about those Howe St stairs?

catbirdseat said:

Thinker said:

That's interesting. I briefly had a job with Arco Products testing emissions from reformulated gasolines. We measured aldehydes from fuels made using ethanol mixed with gasoline. You get quite a lot of very toxic compounds like acetaldehyde and acrolein when you burn alcohol.

Acetaldehyde is hardly "very" toxic. It is the first compound your own liver breaks down ethanol into. That is why after a serious drunk you smell a bit like green apple. In fact some food processors put a bit of the ester in products for the flavor. I would be much more concerned with CO and particulates.

PS I try to stay away from riding bikes. It is too dangerous for my likeing. I'll stick to climbing; thank you very much.

I don't have information about climbing facility per se, I have some

overall information about the project. This is attached along with

some

photos of the area. Please feel free to send it on to interested

folks.

The process will be to 1) determine if there is a sizable interest in

contructing a climbing facility the area, as demonstrated by

individuals

emailing and attending meetings; 2) figure out where it might fit on

the

site; 3) determine the costs for making the improvements; 4)

estabishing

priorities for all of the improvements using community and Parks

comments; and 5) if it rises to the top of the priority list of

improvements that can be built with the available budget, then it moves

into design and construction.

Our next meeting is 7-9 pm March 20th at the PIMA Institute 1627

Eastlake Ave. Feel free to call me if you would like to discuss

further.

David

David W. Goldberg

Parks and Recreation

Project Planner

(206) 684-8414

Pro Parks: I-5 Open Space Project

History

In November 2000, Seattle voters approved a $198.2 million levy lid lift for Parks and Recreation, including $1.8 million to improve the area under I-5 in Eastlake. The levy will fund more than 100 projects to improve maintenance and enhance programming of existing parks, including the Woodland Park Zoo; acquire, develop and maintain new neighborhood parks, green spaces, playfields, trails and boulevards; and add out-of-school and senior activities. The levy will also fund an acquisition and development "opportunity fund."

I-5 Open Space Proposal

The Eastlake Neighborhood Plan, completed in Sept. 1998 contained the following initial ideas for the open space including:

· Making pedestrian and bicycle connections from Fairview Ave through the area under I-5 to the steps leading up to Capitol Hill via Blaine and Howe Streets.

· Treating storm-water run-off.

· Planting suitable trees and other vegetation.

· Improving safety by installing lighting and call boxes.

· Incorporating public art.

· Creating sport climbing and mountain biking facilities.

Parks and Recreation is also considering the area for an “off-leash” facility. The Seattle Arts Commission has also identified the site as a location for a significant public art project. Other community ideas will be considered during the initial planning phases.

Budget: Pro Parks provides $1.8 million for planning, design and construction.

Location: The I-5 Open Space, is approximately 7.5 acres located on Washington Department of Transportation (WSDOT) property between Lakeview Blvd. and Franklin Ave. and Howe and Garfield Streets. Parks and Recreation will need to negotiate a lease with WSDOT to provide for this use.

Schedule:

Planning Design Construction Completion

2002-3 2003 2003 – 4 2004

Community Involvement

Parks will prepare a public involvement plan that outline procedures for soliciting and considering public input. The Plan identifies people affected, timeline, the structure of the advisory committee, and communication techniques. There are many opportunities to be involved.

· Community-wide Public Meetings and Workshops - Parks will hold open meetings and workshops where information is shared with the general community.

· Neighborhood and Stakeholder Meetings – Parks will go to neighborhood council, neighborhood plan stewardship and other stakeholder meetings as needed to provide updates and gather comments.

· Advisory Committee - Parks will work with the Eastlake Neighborhood Plan stewardship committee and other stakeholders to solicit community direction on a regular basis. These points include architect selection, design development, development of construction drawings, construction start, and project completion.

Contact Information

Project Planner: David W. Goldberg

Seattle Parks and Recreation

800 Maynard Avenue S. 3rd Floor

Seattle, WA 98134

(206) 684-8414

davidw.goldberg@seattle.gov

I would post the pictures but I don't know how. If I could forward them to someone who could post them that would be nice.

Acetaldehyde is hardly "very" toxic. It is the first compound your own liver breaks down ethanol into. That is why after a serious drunk you smell a bit like green apple. In fact some food processors put a bit of the ester in products for the flavor. I would be much more concerned with CO and particulates.
I'm sorry, but acetaldehyde is indeed very toxic. In small concentrations it is not harmful. In normal individuals, its concentration is never very high in the liver because it is rapidly metabolized. It is however responsible for cirrhosis of the liver. By the way, aldehydes are not esters.

I agree with you that bicycling on the street is more dangerous than climbing. Mountain biking on trail is not without risk, either, but at least there are no SUVs to flatten you.

• 4 weeks later...

Please join Seattle Parks and Recreation at a workshop organized to get

feedback on alternatives for improving a 7.5 acre area under I-5 in the

Eastlake neighborhood. This Pro Parks funded project is exploring

development concepts that include: extending the E. Howe St. and E.

Blaine St. stairs to Franklin Ave. E.; providing walking and mountain

biking trails; establishing a dog off-leash area; creating public art;

and installing landscaping. John Roloff, the public artist, will also

be attending.

Check out some of the initial ideas at (not posted yet...but soon)

Tuesday, April 15th, 2003

TOPS at Seward School, Library

2500 Franklin Ave. E

Time: 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM

WE WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU!

David W. Goldberg

Parks and Recreation

Project Planner

(206) 684-8414

• 2 weeks later...

So any idea what the climbing wall will be like? Are we talking plastic bolt-on holds (seems like too much maintenance/theft problem, etc.), or will it be permanent, like the UW rock? Height? (TR vs bouldering?) Pea-gravel?

Sounds like a good time, as long as you don't spend too much time there and get black lung from the pollution...

• 1 month later...

Another meeting

I-5 Open Space Project

Progress Meeting Agenda

May 15, 2003

PIMA Medical Institute located at 1627 Eastlake Ave

Agenda

Wear Walking Shoes!!!!

Recap of City Review 7:00

* Seattle Design Commission

Pro View (Parks internal review)

Walking the Site 7:20

* Maps for Notes

* Ideas for designs Existing conditions shaping design

Next Steps 8:20

* Survey

* Circulation Design Refinements (OLA, Unstructured Areas, Mtn. Biking)

Contact Information:

David W. Goldberg, Project Planner

Seattle Department of Parks and Recreation

Planning and Development Division

800 Maynard Avenue S. 3rd Floor

Seattle, WA, 98134-1336

(206) 684-8414

Geek the Greek, it has not been designed yet, that's what the meetings are for. Go to them if you can handle sitting around, I can't.

• 1 month later...

MEETING TIME

I-5 Open Space Meeting June 30 at PIMA 7-9PM

See the attached Agenda. We've got the survey mostly complete and will be discussing refinements to circulation system and allocation of areas for the different uses.

Happy Solstice

David

David W. Goldberg

Parks and Recreation

Project Planner

(206) 684-84

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Folks, I am truly sorry for re-arranging meeting times, but schedules keep shifting.

The July meeting will be July 31st from 7-9 PM at the PIMA Medical Institute 1627 Eastlake Ave in room 4. I've attached the notes from the June 30 meeting. A map of the refined plan is now on ouor web site. You can see some of the refinements to the pedestrian circulation.

During this moth, our consultant will be developing design concepts that will give life to the park. She will also be looking at options for the mountain biking connection to Franklin Ave.

Lastly, look in your mail for an announcement of an early August public workshop. This will be an opportunity to confirm the project driection with the larger community.

Have a wonderful Independence Day.

David W. Goldberg

Parks and Recreation

Project Planner

(206) 684-8414

• 3 weeks later...

Hi:

I've corresponded with each of you several months ago about the potential for a sport climbing facility as part of Seattle Park and Recreation's project to develop an open space/park beneath I-5 in the Eastlake neighborhood.

We developed a site plan that identifies an area where this would be possible. I am contacting you to determine if there is sufficient interest and organizational energy to make this happen. Parks has approximately $1.1 million to develop the site, however the budget is stretched thin because of the size (7.5 acres) of the area. The Backcountry Bicycle Trails Club (BBTC) is organized and has pledged to contribute volunteer effort to design and construct mountain biking trails. Citizens for Off-Leash Areas (COLA) has pledged stewardship and management of the off-leash portion of the site. We would be looking for similar committment and contributions to the project from climbers. Do you folks think this is possible? We would need to solidfy interest within the next few months. You can check out the latest information of the effort at http://www4.cityofseattle.net/parks/proparks/projects/i-5openspace.htm

Thanks

David W. Goldberg

Parks and Recreation

Project Planner

(206) 684-8414

Hi Folks. Please pass this on to whomever you think may be interested.

The public workshop for schematic design (this is the stage where we clarify the details of the location and design of improvements, and the priorities for construction) is Thursday August 7 from 7 to 9 PM at the South Lake Union Armory - 860 Terry Ave N.

Unfortunatley we were unable to find a location more central to the neighborhood. There is, however, plenty of parking and good bike access. The artist John Roloff, will also discuss his initial ideas for the site.

You should be getting a mailer shortly. Let me know if you would like me to send copies to your mailing list (provide me with the list in excel) or if you would like me to give you some mailers for you to distribute.

The link to the web site (which will be updated soon to discuss the workshop) is http://www.cityofseattle.net/parks/proparks/projects/i-5openspace.htm

We also have another progress meeting to discuss refinements and construction priorities on Thursday July 31 at the PIMA Medical Institute, 1627 Eastlake Ave. Room 4. I'll send another reminder.

Enjoy the sun!

David

David W. Goldberg

Parks and Recreation

Project Planner

(206) 684-8414

Interesting to read all the comments. Thanks Dave S. for the posts. So far it seems like there's three individuals who might be interested in this. I'll work with them off line and see if they want organize.

Regarding $$ and pollutants... We've got the money from a voter approved levy and can't redirect it to other "worthwhile" projects with 3/4 of City Council voting to do it. Seattle isn't closing parks, though were are reducing maintenance since that is paid for out of the City's general funds. Those have taken a big hit.

The Puget Sound Air Quality folks and King County Health. They agree that it's best to exercise out of cities and on mountains (ding, ding you guys win!) Neither organization has any data about what levels of pollutants we might find under I-5. We may work with the County to get some monitoring. Recreating at this site should not be too much different from elsewhere in the City. People regularly run the stairs nearby, bike to work along congested streets and run everywhere.

So, we all balance exercising locally and not driving/polluting to get to fresh air with increased air pollution.

Ironically, the only beasts on tethers would be...some of you guys.

David