[TR] Mt Hood - West Crater 2/21/2009

Trip: Mt Hood - West Crater

Date: 2/21/2009

Trip Report:

Myself and 5 others went for a quick trip up West Crater on Saturday morning. There was a soft crust on top of an unconsolidated light +/-6 inches bit of snow. There was also hidden hard rime ice blocks mixed in all over(not fun if you slid) I was surprised at how low the snow was all the way up. Several areas are significantly steeper than last year when I did the same route in Feb 08. I ran up a slightly steeper chute to the right at the top of WC that was a little exciting with only one ice axe, but would have been very fun with two tools. hood_2-09_008.jpghood_2-09_016.jpghood_2-09_022.jpghood_2-09_026.jpg [video:youtube]

[video:youtube]

Gear Notes:

no rope, just ourselves, 'poons and axes. Two tools would have been nice for the steeper parts.

Approach Notes:

soft crust on top of an unconsolidated light +/-6 inches bit of snow between Palmer and summit. On the glissade tracks, watch out for hidden ice protrusions (large bruise on my hip to prove it)

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How's WCR looking from a skier's perspective? Looked a little too steep and icy from your pics... How about crater rock to top of palmer for skiing?

On all of the above there was really great powder on top of blue rime. Mostly, there was good powder, but bands/ridges of hard to spot ice balls were hidden here and there. I think WCR would have actually been the spot with the least ice bands, though the snow was a little crusted. I say go for it, after this new storm system moves though. It'll all be covered by then.