Madrone Wall Restoration event - 9/27/08

elaine

I did post this earlier....... Be prepared to get dirty!

-Saturday September 27, 2008....Yes it's the same day as the PDX Ice Fest!

-10 am-1pm

Meet at the Carver School for carpooling ( www.carverschool.org/Find-Us)

Some tools will be provided from Metro, but please bring whatever you have for blackberry, ivy, and clematis removal.

Loppers, hands saws, rakes, etc., and GLOVES! There might be some garbage to get rid of, as well.

Wear long pants and shirts. Mr. Stinging Nettles and Mrs. Poison Oak are out there, and I think they've been breeding.

Wear boots, too. We'll be out there rain or shine. Bring water and your own snacks if need be. I'll be bringing some cookies and banana bread for the morning.

The kind folks from Climb Max will be hosting a BBQ at the Carver School after, and I've got some swag to raffle off from the Access Fund. Sorry, but no beer! Beer on school grounds isn't a good thing. You'll get plenty at the Ice Fest!

Once at the site, we will likely use the meadow area as a staging area/base camp for tools, and directions/support from Clackamas County's Natural Resources Team.

Bring the kids! There will be something for everyone to do!

If anyone has a van of some sorts that can help transport folks to and from the site, send me a note!

Thanks!

Kellie

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

sounds awesome kellie!

I'll be there and try to bring the usual suspects.

Does anyone have one of those portable camp showers we could use for after playing in the poison oak?

...seriously, i'm crazy allergic to the stuff...

I have a sunshower. I can bring it.

Just a gentle reminder so that there is no confusion......YES we are doing a clean up, but the Madrone is NOT open for climbing.

It is still posted no trespassing. This kind of TLC work that we are doing will be necessary anyways before the site actually opens.

• 5 weeks later...

73 people was our count. Volunteers ranged in age from almost 3 ( Keith's son, Micah) to probably people in their late 60's. A group of almost 20 kids from West Linn High School, and a handful from Valley Catholic High showed up! Kudos to them!! We pulled lots of blackberry brambles, some ivy, clematis, and managed to haul all of the JUNK that's been dumped there.

A couple of kids bikes, an old motor bike, a couple of cars in various parts, computer, tires, odd scraps of metal and at least 3 dishwasher/washing machines loaded with bullet holes. I really couldn't tell what they were anymore.

About 2 hours into the event, a couple of climbers ( yes, people with packs and ropes) walked right passed our group to go climb. I did manage to give them the "what for." A couple of others chimed in their comments, too. I know there are a few people who continue to climb out there and ignore the "No Trespassing" signs, but the audacity ( and lack of common sense) to climb when there are 2 Clackamas County vehicles and about 30 cars parked in front of the site along 224 is just plain insulting. The Clackamas County staff person supervising the event called the Sheriff and alerted other parks staff that were working over the weekend about the climbers and their car that was left along the highway after we all departed.

Many thanks to Josh at Climb Max for the BBQ, and Gavin Ferguson donated some swag for a prize raffle!

More details soon on the next public meeting and Wayne Wallace's slideshow in November!!!

Kellie Rice

Madrone Wall Preservation Committee

73 people was our count. Volunteers ranged in age from almost 3 ( Keith's son, Micah) to probably people in their late 60's. A group of almost 20 kids from West Linn High School, and a handful from Valley Catholic High showed up! Kudos to them!! We pulled lots of blackberry brambles, some ivy, clematis, and managed to haul all of the JUNK that's been dumped there.

A couple of kids bikes, an old motor bike, a couple of cars in various parts, computer, tires, odd scraps of metal and at least 3 dishwasher/washing machines loaded with bullet holes. I realy couldn't tell what they were anymore.

About 2 hours into the event, a couple of climbers ( yes, people with packs and ropes) walked right passed our group to go climb. I did manage to give them the "what for." A couple of others chimed in their comments, too. I know there are a few people who continue to climb out there and ignore the "No Trespassing" signs, but the audacity ( and lack of common sense) to climb when there are 2 Clackamas County vehicles and about 30 cars parked in front of the site along 224 is just plain insulting. The Clackamas County staff person supervising the event called the Sheriff and alerted other parks staff that were working over the weekend about the climbers and their car that was left along the highway after we all departed.

Many thanks to Josh at Climb Max for the BBQ, and Gavin Ferguson donated some swag for a prize raffle!

More details soon on the next public meeting and Wayne Wallace's slideshow in November!!!

Kellie Rice

Madrone Wall Preservation Committee

:tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: