[TR] Middle Sister - North Ridge 4/11/2016

omac

Trip: Middle Sister - North Ridge

Date: 4/11/2016

Trip Report:

With work and school I currently only have Mondays off for trips and I had been cursed with bad weather every free day I had. Upon checking the forecast, I saw this past Monday was the last day of this beautiful weather window so I decided to go in to solo climb Middle Sister.

The road is now clear all the way to the Pole Creek trailhead and the first 3/4 mile of the trail is clear as well with some patches of snow, after that it is all snow. I left the TH at 4:15am and with perfect firm snow all morning and a nice lunch at the saddle I was on the summit by 9:30am. Used my ax and a pole but it could have easily been done with just poles.

By the time I was back down to the saddle the sun had warmed the snow into a horrible slog all the way out. Out of pure stupidity I slogged in ankle to knee snow for way too long before putting the snowshoes on.

Apart from two people packing up their camp at 6:50am, I didn't see or hear anyone else the entire trip. I took my sweet time coming out and was back to the car by 1:10pm.

Overall a fun trip.

001_middle.jpg

View from the Summit

03_middle_sister.jpg

The north ridge

01_middle_sister.jpg

Middle sister

02_north_sister.jpg

North Sister looking irresistible, I almost changed objectives seeing it in first light.

0_middle_sister.jpg

image2.png

Proof from the previous week that the gods did not want me to get out on my one day off.

-Owen

Gear Notes:

Ice ax, crampons, poles, snowshoes for trip out.

Approach Notes:

FS road 15 is clear all the way to the Pole Creek trailhead

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic