Waddington Range flight-share July 23rd - August 4

Matt Lemke

Hey everyone!

A friend and I have reservations through Vancouver Island Air for a float plane ride to Dumbell Lake leaving around 2pm on July 23rd and returning to Campbell River from the same place (Dumbell Lake) around 4pm August 4th and I was wondering if there were a couple other people interested in sharing the cost of this round-trip, or if you prefer, just one way, flight?

We are avoiding the Whitesaddle helicopter service because it is more than twice the cost of float planes. We have a Beaver aircraft reserved which will be able to comfortably hold 4, maybe 5 people, and we currently have just 2 (possibly 3).

The total cost is 2,900 US dollars for the round trip service. So as it is, each of us is looking at roughly $1,450 per person. If anyone else wishes to join to share the cost please let me know! You can climb whatever you wish. Our primary goal is Waddington via the Bravo Glacier and possibly something on Combatent but our secondary goal is not set at all yet.

If you aren't sure where Dumbell Lake is, it's 13 miles east of Waddington, and to reach the Tiedemann glacier from Dumbell Lake, it's about a 3 mile schwack west along Tellot Creek to Ephemeron Lake at the base of the Tellot Glacier, then an easy hike over Nabob Pass just west of Mount Jeffery. Once across Nabob Pass you'll reach the Tiedemann Glacier where one could conceivably hike the moraine anywhere from 5-8 miles to reach the Combatant/Asperity/Serra Peaks or Waddington if you cross the upper Tiedemann Glacier. We are guessing this approach will take 2 full days, which is quite reasonable compared to the dozens of miles of schwacking required for any other approach and is less than half the price of a round trip heli ride to someplace close to the highest peaks.

Hopefully someone here is interested. Note that the departing date of July 23rd is somewhat firm (We could also do the 24th but that's about it), and the return date could be pushed back a day or 2 but overall the dates are fairly firm due to my summer scheduling.

Thanks, and happy climbing!

Matt

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days