Mt. Hood Ice Caves - Seattle area partners wanted!

Austin

Hey everyone,

I will have a few days during the week of May 10-May 17 to spend in the outdoors before shipping out for work over the summer.

I'd really like to hike out to the Sandy Glacier Ice Caves on Mt. Hood - they are melting out fast and I'd like to see them before it is too late.

The plan is drive to the trailhead (4hr 22min according to google. it is just outside of Rhododendron, OR) for the trail to McNeil point, then hike 5mi to the McNeil shack and overnight. The next day we would hike out to the Sandy Glacier (another 2mi or so it seems) and explore the caves. After that we could either overnight again or just hike back to the car and get the drive over with.

FWIW, I am totally down to drive and hike all the way to the caves on the same day, and then camp on the glacier. I have a good headlamp so night/day doesn't matter. Plus, sunrise at the caves would be epic.

This is just a rough plan, my days are flexible and I am more than happy to leave/come back when it is most convenient for people.

Climbing gear is probably a good idea. I plan on bringing a 60m rope, climbing harness, and general glacier-travel/crevasse gear just in case something happens. Crampons and axe(s) may be prudent as well. I don't think conditions will warrant avy gear.

Call/text is fastest, I can be reached at 206-371-3866.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic