Snow/Ski Conditions in Oregon Cascades?

TGAL

Hellooo Cascade Climbers,

I've got a trip in the works for early May, we're hoping to ski 5-6 volcanoes between Hood and South Sister. This plan/scheduling got cooked up when we still thought it might snow, and I'm wondering if we're going to find navigable ski routes when we get there in a few weeks. Any insight here? We're looking at:

Hood

Jefferson

Three Fingered Jack

North Sister

Broken Top

South Sister

Are we doomed?

Thanks!

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

you're not doomed.

it has snowed quite a bit in April so far. With at least a bit more on the way in next few days. So...there will be lines to ski on the volcanoes. Right now some TH that one could drive to for most of winter now have snow inhibiting access. But that lower elevation stuff will melt quick..unless April keeps hammering low fz levels and precip, I bet access will be fine in May, you just won't be skiing to the car necessarily at most of those in all likelihood.

do you have routes in mind for each mt? North and Jeff are a little more limited in ski routes, not that they don't have lines on them. South Sister can also be a bit of a drag to come across the 1-2 miles of flats on the way down..if you're planning to ski the south side of it. North side of Middle down the hayden glacier is a fairly relaxing enjoyable climb/ski objective, throwing it out there.

Phew. Thank goodness.

Thanks a lot for chiming in with some good news.

On Jefferson I think we're looking at the Milk Creek Glacier, on the SW aspect. We'll be going from spot to spot on bikes, and so we're trying to pick THs that seem reasonable.

On N. Sis I think we're going to be shooting for the Pole Creek TH, and skiing the Early Morning Couloir.

As for S. Sis and Broken Top, I think we're looking at camping at/around Green Lakes and trying to tap both in a day. I think that M. Sis isn't on the itinerary, but it's good to have a relaxing option in mind!