Gimli access

jordo

Anyone who's been up to do S. ridge of Gimli, I'm heading up next weekend. What is the state of the Bannock/Burn FSR? (Can't find that damned issue of Gripped from a month ago with all the beta!) I found a Rec site that lists the road as high clearance, but I know of people without who have gotten by. Am I going to be able to do it in a 2WD?

Also, I know that the climb, particularly the 1st pitch, sucks up hand-sized gear, but did anybody need big pieces. I usually take a 3.5 or 4 BD everywhere, but I'd really like to leave 'em behind!

Cheers.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Jordo,

Road was in excellent condition when we went up about a month ago. We were parked by 2wd small pickup and volvo wagon. Assuming there haven't been any drastic changes since then, you should be fine. They were working on the road installing drainage culverts when we left.

I suspect you could find a place for either one of the BD cams in the first pitch but wouldn't be absolutely necessary. Its a short easy approach so weight won't make much difference. I used more hexes and stoppers then cams on the climb.

Great climb and no porcupines.

Terry

Road is 2wdable. Better have good brakes for the drive down!

Nothing larger than #3 Camalot is needed. First pitch takes extra of the hand sized stuff ie #1-2 Camalot or #4-6 metolius or #2-3 friend.Or some big hexes, which is lighter.

an orange TCU is handy at the roof crux on the last hard pitch.